- Grab a chromebook.
- Open mrsevansenglishclass.com in a tab
- Add yourself to our class on Turnitin.com
Essence Objects (Brainstorm, 15 min.)
- Grab a partner. You are going to work with this person (almost) all period. Make sure it is someone who you will be productive with.
This is what I want you to do with your partner:
1. Read/listen to all of these resources:
- Ira Glass on Storytelling Part 1
- How to Improve Your Mediocre Extracurricular Essay in 30 Minutes
- Four Qualities of an Amazing College Essay
2. Together, create a list of 5 specific things that one must do to write a successful and interesting personal essay. BE SPECIFIC. Write a sentence or two to explain each one. Check out this example.
3. Then, choose one of the following essays. Read a few before you choose one. Critique this essay against your five points. Write a letter to the author. (we won't actually send it). Offer specific suggestions as to how to improve the essay, and/or offer specific praise.